Staying in the spirit of the winter season, I have decided to share a delicious coffee cake recipe with you. Topped with crumbs and studded with cranberries, it is perfect for cold mornings with a cup of coffee. You can bake this cake in a loaf to serve to your family or divide it into cute little loafs for Christmas gifts! Enjoy!
Spiced Coffee Cake with Cranberries
Servings: half sheet pan or multiple small loaves, rounds, or cupcakes
*Please note my baking recipe is noted in grams again. It is much more accurate for measuring.
225 grams butter
630 grams sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
608 grams all-purpose flour
18 grams baking powder
5.5 grams baking soda
675 grams sour cream or crème fraiche
2 cups cranberries
Ingredients: Crumb Topping
75 grams brown sugar
75 grams sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
115 grams butter, melted
400 grams all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In kitchen-aid mixing bowl and using a paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract. It is ready once it is fluffy and lighter in color.
- Add eggs and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk to combine, and then add to kitchen aid. On low-speed, mix to combine.
- Once flour is mixed in, add sour cream. Mix until homogenous.
- Set cake batter aside while you make crumb topping.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and then drizzle in melted butter. Mix until sandy mixture comes together. Now you are ready to assemble.
- Whether you are using a sheet pan or individual molds for small cakes, fill each vessel about ¾ full. Sprinkle the cake(s) with the crumb topping, as desired. Then top with handfuls of cranberries (about 5-7 for small cakes, 20 for sheet pans). You might need to nestle the cranberries into the cakes, depending on the amount of crumbs you use.
- Bake the cakes at 350 degrees. 15-20 minutes for sheets or small cakes. Test doneness with a toothpick. Let cool before serving.